May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Our mental health is defined by a number of things, like emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act.
It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. Most importantly, it’s an essential part of our overall health.
NAMI Montgomery County is the community’s local affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
This agency, located in Lansdale, works to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness through support, education, advocacy and awareness.
According to NAMI, one in five individuals experience mental illness in a given year, although new data is being reported that 1 in 3 Pennsylvanians report having had experienced mental illness during the pandemic.
The stigma related to mental illness can leave someone who is experiencing symptoms feeling misunderstood, hopeless and isolated. Connection to both professional and personal supports can make the biggest difference in someone’s mental health.
Further, connection gives individuals hope and perspective that they can live well with mental illness as it does not define them.
NAMI Montgomery County PA celebrates Mental Health Awareness every month.
In May, they celebrate even more to bring awareness to the community and work to break the stigma associated with mental health conditions.
You have the opportunity to celebrate by:
- Taking part in virtual training being offered through the month of May.
- Sign up to be a member and be part of the impact NAMI Montgomery County PA has on the community.
- Gather your friends, family, and neighbors to participate in NAMI Montgomery County’s largest fundraiser and mental health awareness event NAMIWalks Your Way.
This virtual event takes place on June 12, 2021. Join or form a team and raise funds to keep all of NAMI Montgomery County’s programming FREE.
- Participate in our annual ribbon campaign to raise awareness! Decorate your home, business, or favorite community tree with a NAMI ribbon and show the community your support.
- Remember that “sharing is caring!” You can share the goodness of NAMI Montgomery County PA by sharing this article, sharing a social media post, or letting someone know that making mental health a priority is okay.
At NAMI Montgomery County PA individuals and families find hope and help because with NAMI No One is Alone.