As the 2022 election cycle trundles on, all the rhetoric, differences of opinion, and “I-approve-of-this-message” messaging may try the patience of some Montgomery County voters. But a select few have dedicated themselves so solidly to the electoral process that they enthusiastically participate anyway, keeping alive a decades-long streak of ballot casting. Those citizens have earned their way to the Pa. Voter Hall of Fame, a distinction covered by KYW Newsradio.
For induction into the state’s Voter Hall of Fame, a resident must attest to having voted in at least 50 csonsecutive election cycles without missing a Nov. ballot.
The streak must also include all municipal races and midterm runs, as well as the presidential bouts.
Of the 55 Montgomery County honorees, 16 were inducted to the list in 1987. This means they established their lever-pulling track records at least as far back as the 1936 FDR/Alf Landon presidential contest.
Roosevelt won that one, by the way, with 60.8 percent of the vote, the second of his four wins.
Some voters started casting ballots when the required age was still 21. Others began around the time of the federal Voting Rights Act of 1965, which protected the right for millions of disenfranchised Black people nationwide.
The motivation behind the steadfastness is almost universally tied to the civic responsibility to show up at the polls.
The 55 Montgomery County statewide Voter Hall of Fame members are:
- Allen, Carolyn B., Fort Washington
- Allen, Harvey B., Fort Washington
- Anders, James, Ardmore
- Anders, Jeanette R., Ardmore
- Bauman, Clarance E., East Greenville
- Becker, Abram C, Lansdale
- Bedinger, Elizabeth E., Hatboro
- Bencker, Anna M., North Wales
- Blake, Alberta, Huntingdon Valley
- Blake, Linford, Huntingdon Valley
- Bond, Hester, North Wales
- Brunner, Earl W., Trappe Collegeville
- Buhman, Howard L., Schwenksville
- Byler, Richard P., Oreland
- Campman, Jr., Russell L., Trooper
- Carver, Floyd P., Norristown
- Chambers, Sr., John E., Roslyn
- Coyne, Agnes P., Conshohocken
- Dalle, Claire S., Harleysville
- DeLaurentis, Anthony, Willow Grove
- DeLaurentis, Florence, Willow Grove
- Edwards, Nancy, Lansdale
- Fenstermacher, Edna Mae, Collegeville
- Fenstermacher, J. Howard, Schwenksville
- Fickett, Julian, Glenside
- Foesig, Harry, North Wales
- Goldberg, Herbert, Jenkintown
- Hallman, Kenneth H., Pennsburg
- Jacobs, Alma R., Blue Bell
- Landes, Wilbert H., Ambler
- Leitsch, Stanley L., Audubon
- Lochetto, Anthony, Blue Bell
- Madtes, Horace S., Jr., North Wales
- Magill, John S., Flourtown
- Marquette, Daniel, Pottstown
- McCune, Wallace G., Fort Washington
- McLaughlin, Frances E., Wynnewood
- Mikanowicz, Mary Jean, Perkiomenville
- Mills, Charles P., Jr., Huntingdon Valley
- Mills, Dorothy A., Huntingdon Valley
- Moore, J. Alan, Norristown
- O’Connell, Frank M., Gilbertsville
- Phelan, Edith, Bryn Mawr
- Roden, Geralyn W., Huntingdon Valley
- Roden, Lincoln III, Huntingdon Valley
- Santangelo, Paul, Norristown
- Sellers, Melvin K., Harleysville
- Skibbe, Norma G., Norristown
- Strouse, Ralph W., Hatfield
- Talone, Leonard A., Conshohocken
- Trucksess, Robert, Norristown
- Wampole, Dorothy F., Gwynedd
- Wampole, Howard F., Gwynedd
- Wenrich, Esther M., Jenkintown
- Woodland, Violet R., Norristown
The list of 23,774 Pa. Voter Hall of Fame names across the state’s 67 counties is online.