American Community Journals – the parent company of VISTA Today, MONTCO Today, DELCO Today, and BUCKSCO Today – is seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and versatile writer/editor to assist with the editorial operations of VISTA Today.
This position begins as part-time (hourly) with a pay range between $10 and $20 per hour based on experience and will transition to full-time (salary) once training is completed.
This position will work with ACJ’s affiliate partners to elevate their profiles, grow their businesses, and strengthen their connection to the community — all through the written word. He/she will also find, curate, and create compelling and engaging content for readers.
Primary duties include writing original stories about ACJ’s affiliate partners and sourcing, curating, and posting additional stories about the region’s businesses, nonprofits, universities, communities, and people.
The candidate must have experience in writing and editing news, as well as excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with the company’s affiliate partners; enhance and post their content
- Searching online to identify positive stories about the region’s people, places, and events
- Proofreading and editing
- Interviewing newsworthy people and writing original feature stories
- Posting completed stories, including correct hyperlinks and images, on WordPress
- Analyzing data and seeking to increase reader engagement and retention
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, or a related field (or the equivalent in work experience)
- Excellent command of the English language
- Professional writing, editing, and proofreading experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- A flexible mindset and the ability to pivot and multi-task
- An appreciation of the region’s business, educational, and social culture
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in WordPress is a plus
- Knowledge of SEO is a plus
- Proficiency in social media (including Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Reddit) is a plus