Many a tired-of-winter, tired of sheltering-at-home, and just plain Netflix-series-fatigued golfers celebrated earlier this month when the Governor announced the statewide reopening of golf courses.
“The phone started ringing off the hook when Gov. Wolf announced that golf could open in PA,” said Missy Peart, owner of Macoby Run Golf Course in Green Lane.
“Our tee sheet opened up online at noon, and it was booked solid by 4 p.m. Obviously, golfers are ready to get out on the course!”
And why not! Montgomery County offers some of the most historic and top-ranked courses in the country.
Here are five unforgettable facts about golf in Montgomery county, courtesy of Valley Forge Tourism and Convention board’s Fall 2019 Montco Golf Guide (see below):
1. Montgomery County’s 24 public golf courses and 29 private clubs offer local golfers over 300,000 yards of play (and sometimes frustration), make Montgomery County Pennsylvania’s undisputed golf capital.
2. James Finegan – one of golf’s most revered historians and a longtime resident of Montgomery County – once said in a radio interview, “When I drive around Montgomery County, I marvel at what I see. It’s almost as if I am passing through the Sistine Chapel of golf.”
3. Six Montgomery County golf courses – Philadelphia Cricket Club, Philadelphia Country Club, Manufacturers Golf and Country Club, Huntingdon Valley Country Club, Whitemarsh Valley Country Club, and the North Course at Philmont Country Club – are on Golfweek list of the Top 100 Classic Courses in America – built before 1962.
4. While its official address is Haverford Township in Delaware County, the Merion Golf Club, ranked No. 7 on Golfweek’s list and host of five US Open tournaments, pieces of the golf club’s property sneak across the border into Montgomery County.
5. Tom Fazio, who was born in Norristown but grew up in Lansdale, designed 34 of the Golf Digests Top 200 Golf Courses in America. The next closest architect has 11 on the list.
Private and public golf courses across the county have new CDC restrictions to the game to ensure the safety and wellness of the golfers and staff.
Check with your favorite golf course before you arrive to see their new list of rules and regulations.
You Might Also Like