By Emily Keel
A quick summary of 22 “must-do” events happening around Montgomery County this week compiled by Valley Forge Tourism & Convention Board:
- National Dog Show – Saturday, November 16 – Sunday, November 17
- The Hound of the Baskervilles – Sunday, November 10 – Sunday, December 8
- Fall In! 2019 Home & Garden Show Convention – Friday, November 15 – Sunday, November 17
- Happy PAWlidays at Happy PlaceOpens in New Window – Saturday, November 16 – Sunday, November 17
- Winter Group Show: Earth, Wind & Fire – Friday, November 15 – Sunday, February 16
The National Dog Show hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia is an annual celebration of dogdom, dating back to 1879. This cluster of American Kennel Club (AKC)-sanctioned dog shows is one of the oldest and most prestigious in the country.
Over 190 AKC-sanctioned breeds and varieties, will be among some 2,000 of the nation’s top dogs to compete for the title of “Best in Show” in a competition open to all registered purebred dogs.
The National Dog Show is one of the only three in America that is benched, meaning the canines are on display all day, so that attendees can meet the dogs and their handlers.
This year the show is scheduled for Saturday, November 16, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday, November 17, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Greater Philadelphia EXPO Center (Oaks, PA). Tickets are available online at www.NationalDogShow.comOpens in New Window for the affordable price of $16 for adults, $7 for children (4-12) and free admission for children 3 and younger.
Food & Drink Events
- BBQ, Blues & Brews – Friday, November 15
- Autumn Cooking Workshop – Saturday, November 16
- Whiskey Cocktail Workshop – Saturday, November 16 – Saturday, December 7
- Geeks Who Drink Trivia – Recurring Weekly on Tuesday
- ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas – Saturday, November 16 – Saturday, December 7
- Brill Motorcar Autumn Splendor Fall Foliage – Monday, November 11 – Thursday, November 14
Twas the Night Before Christmas – These special evening trains bring the storybook magic of the season to life Join us in your pajamas and sip complimentary hot cocoa as we read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.
Enjoy Christmas music and the comfort of our Edwardian-era cars, look for lights as the Secret Valley rolls past your window.
Rumor has it Santa himself may appear with a gift for every child.
Approx. two-hour round trip. Friday and Saturday evenings during December First Class Parlor passengers enjoy Holiday Music at our Grand Piano! Parlor Car Tastings: all tastings include an hors-d’oeuvres plate.
- Veteran’s Day Commemoration – Monday, November 11
- Right-Wing Populism & Media: A Conversation – Thursday, November 14
- Old School Night Hosted by Lansdale After Dark – Saturday, November 16
Art & Music Events
- Looking Over the President’s Shoulder – Wed-Sun until Sunday, November 17
- Little Red Robin Hood: A Musical Panto – Thursday, November 14 – Sunday, January 5, 2020
- The Perfect Dog Musical Theater Production – Thursday, November 14 – Sunday, November 24
- 2019 Fine Arts & Craft Show – Friday, November 15 – Sunday, November 17