New life might soon be brought into one of Lower Merion long abandoned but very important historic sites – the old Bakers Mill on Mill Creek Road in Gladwyne. For about the past 15 years, the structure has been empty and mostly neglected. At the same time, township officials say there has been a $350,000 sewer tax lien on the property since 2012.
For about the past 15 years, the structure has been empty and mostly neglected. At the same time, township officials say there has been a $350,000 sewer tax lien on the property since 2012. But a new developer is poised to purchase the site but they need some township approvals first, writes Richard Ilgenfrizt for Digital First Media.
The site dates back to at least 1814 when it was built as Nippes Mill and operated as a gun manufacturing site for Samuel Nippes. The building may also date back to as far as 1793, according to a staff memo to the Building and Planning Committee for its meeting May 9.
Today the building is more commonly known as Barkers Mill because it was owned by members of that longtime Gladwyne family for many years through the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s and 1990s, the building housed several smaller businesses including woodworkers and a recording studio. In the early 2000s, the site was purchased by O’Neill Properties.
The building is located in a secluded spot along Mill Creek Road in Gladwyne at the base of Rolling Hill Park. Near the site are old ruins that also functioned as housing for mill workers.
Gladwyne Commissioner Josh Grimes said he was in support of the project since this could be the last chance at saving a part of Lower Merion’s history.
According to Grimes, whenever the ownership of the property changes hands the township will receive the $350,000 from the sewer lien.
To read the complete story click here.