Five Montco Locales Gain Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission Recognition
The number of roadside blue-gold markers — designating locales of historic or cultural significance — is increasing in Montgomery County. Scott LaMar listed the latest inclusions for WITF, Harrisburg.
In total, 36 new, easily recognizable signs are being placed statewide by Harrisburg’s Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC).
The evaluating process for the resident-nominated sites calls for:
- A clear, organized case for the distinction
- Secondary sources verifying details
- A nominee with state- or nationwide significance
A five-member panel review makes the final decision.
The five newest Montgomery County honorees are:
- Battle of Edge Hill, Abington Township, memorializing a major engagement of the Revolutionary War
- Dr. Chevalier Jackson, Schwenksville, pioneer in treating ailments that include accidental swallowing of harmful objects. Jackson passed away in 1961 at his Montgomery County home
- Edward Piszek, Springfield Township, founder of Mrs. Paul’s Kitchens. Piszek died in 2004 while living in Fort Washington
- Highlands, Whitemarsh Township, a late-Georgian-style country estate commissioned by wealthy Quaker lawyer-politician Anthony Morris
- Women of Idenlea, Lower Merion Township. Idenlea was a Bala Cynwyd estate that housed (among other notables) Pennsylvania’s first practicing woman physician, Dr. Hannah E. Myers Longshore
More on the state’s newest blue-gold marker recipients is at WITF.
Much more detail on the 1777 Battle of Red Hill, to be commemorated by a new state marker, is available in this
2021 YouTube video from the Washington Crossing American Revolution Round Table.
Stay Connected, Stay Informed
Subscribe for great stories in your community!
"*" indicates required fields