A growing business has a growing list of needs, especially with regard to human resources. More employees means more responsibilities, and not every organization has a full HR team to manage these essential tasks. An external HR resource can help companies facing this situation by taking on a number of responsibilities, from critical payroll and compliance functions to identifying efficiencies to improve processes and performance.
The question remains: How do you know it’s time to explore outsourced HR services? This differs business by business, but these are some of the most common scenarios that indicate you may need outside HR support.
- New regulations are getting overwhelming: COVID introduced a variety of new rules and regulations to the workplace. With all of these new complexities, many organizations needed the additional HR support to help manage everything in-house. An experienced HR advisor can help break down these regulations, and others, and keep your organization compliant.
- An HR issue arises: For many organizations, the need for outside HR support becomes apparent once an employee complaint or grievance comes to light. If these types of issues are not handled properly, they can open an employer up to lawsuits or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission claims. An experienced HR advisor can offer guidance to handle these situations, protecting your organization from costly fines or reputational damage.
- The CFO can no longer wear two hats: With smaller organizations, the CFO often pulls double duty and serves as the HR manager in addition to their role. This model proves unsustainable as the organization grows. If the CFO can no longer cover both sets of responsibilities, it’s likely time to look into external support options.
- You have more than 50 employees: Once an organization surpasses 50 employees, there are more regulatory requirements that take effect. These include the Family and Medical Leave Act, Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- You can’t fill open positions: In today’s competitive labor market, finding the right people for your team can be difficult. Consider consulting with an external talent acquisition adviser for support with writing job descriptions or conducting candidate screening.
RKL’s Human Capital Management team offers a wide range of outsourced HR services to help your company in a number of ways, from on-call support to specialized assistance to fully outsourced arrangements. Contact RKL’s Exton office at 484.874.2200 or complete the form on this page to start the conversation.
Lindsay M. Heist is Senior Human Resources Consultant with RKL LLP, which has an office in the Exton Corporate Center. She assists clients with a variety of HR projects and issues, including employee relations, benefits and leave administration, talent management, compliance, and training and development.