In an effort to try and help slow the surge of coronavirus infections, Montgomery County Board of Health has ordered all K-12 schools to close for two weeks starting with November 23, writes Maddie Hanna for The Philadelphia Inquirer.
Despite protests from parents, the board voted unanimously to impose the order to revert schools to virtual instruction. The five board members said they understood the parents’ frustration, but that a shutdown was a necessary proactive approach to a fast escalating problem.
“If we don’t do this, we will be in a significantly worse situation post-Thanksgiving holiday,” said Barbara Wadsworth, a board member and senior vice president of patient services and chief nursing officer at Main Line Health.
The order applies to public and private schools as well as any school sports and extracurricular activities.
The decision follows a rapid increase in the number of cases in Montgomery County, after the 14-day average rate of positive test results topped five percent last week. According to experts, this crosses the threshold that indicates community spread.
Read more about the closing decision at The Philadelphia Inquirer by clicking here.