Wawa, Inc. announced this year’s Wawa Day celebration will honor its 55th anniversary in convenience retailing and the fifth anniversary of The Wawa Foundation. Wawa Day will be held on Thursday, April 11, and themed around high-fives for fulfilling lives! Wawa will celebrate the occasion by offering customers any size free coffee, chain-wide, all day.
Throughout the day, Wawa expects to give away more than 2 million free cups of coffee to customers at its more than 840 stores across PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA, FL and Washington, DC.
In April of 1964, Wawa entered the retail business when it opened its first convenience store in Folsom, PA. In April of 2014, Wawa celebrated its 50th anniversary in convenience retailing and marked the milestone with the first Wawa Day event, which included the launch of The Wawa Foundation, a 501c (3) non-profit organization founded to encompass most of Wawa’s charitable giving. Since the Foundation’s inception, Wawa and The Wawa Foundation have donated more than $66 million in support to causes related to health, hunger and everyday heroes.
This year’s April 11th Wawa Day celebration gives Wawa the opportunity to celebrate high-fives for fulfilling lives by toasting the community with free coffee and announcing five big reasons to celebrate, including our combined support of health, hunger, and everyday heroes, as well as Wawa’s growth and new innovations. As part of the Wawa Day celebration, The Wawa Foundation will announce three contributions of $1 million each to three of its national partners.
- Health – The Wawa Foundation will announce a contribution of $1 million to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to support LLS’s new Children’s Initiative, a groundbreaking clinical trial program aimed at delivering precision medicine therapy to children with cancer and funding research for a cure. The Wawa Foundation will be a founding partner of the initiative.
- Hunger – The Wawa Foundation will announce a contribution of $1 million to Check Out Hunger to support 23 Feeding America Food Banks operating in Wawa’s markets. Proceeds to Check Out Hunger and Special Olympics (see below) come from The Wawa Foundation’s in-store customer donation campaign, and both campaigns recently surpassed the $1 million mark – the first time the in-store campaigns have achieved this milestone.
- Everyday Heroes – The Wawa Foundation will announce a contribution of $1 million to Special Olympics to support programs for thousands of athletes involved with Special Olympics in NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, FL and Washington, DC. Funds for Special Olympics come from The Wawa Foundation’s in-store customer donation campaign recently surpassed the $1 million mark, as stated above.
- Growth – Wawa will celebrate a historic year ahead in 2019, as it will open 63 new stores throughout the year across all six states and DC, including entry into new markets for Wawa in Miami, FL; and Ocala, FL, this spring.
- New Innovations – Wawa is continuing to push the boundaries of customer access by meeting customers where they live and on their terms. This will include new store-level catering menus and packaging available the first week of May, and the addition of new delivery territories and enhanced technology throughout the year designed to make the customer experience more convenient than ever.