During a recent press conference, advocates for the state’s new ignition interlock law celebrated the passing of Act 33 at the state office of Mothers Against Drunk Driving in Bridgeport, writes Carl Rotenberg for the Main Line Media News.
The law, which requires car ignition interlocks for first-time offenders convicted of drunk driving, was signed by Governor Tom Wolf on May 25. Previously, the requirement only applied to repeat drunk-driving offenders.
“It was a long battle but we got it through. It is a huge step for the Commonwealth,” said Senator John Rafferty Jr., who co-sponsored the bill. However, he noted that it would take close to year for PennDOT to fully implement the expanded program.
According to Rafferty, there were 12,884 alcohol-related crashes last year, which resulted in 306 deaths and 6,042 injuries.
“We know that interlock devices work. It allows DUI offenders to keep a job,” said MADD program manager Malcolm Friend. He added that the program has stopped nearly 1.7 million drunk-driving attempts nationwide including 80,000 in Pennsylvania.
Read more about the press conference in the Main Line Media News by clicking here.