This week’s House of the Week is an extensive 5,400 S.F. property was constructed at the turn of the last century for Harry W. Jayne, a Chemist who owned a series of manufacturing plants for the refining of coal-tar products. In the 1920’s, John H. Sinberg (a writer with the Philadelphia Record) purchased the home and hired Magaziner, Eberhard & Harris to expand the residence and alter its appearance to what one sees today, according to the listing on realtor.com.
Now situated on nearly an acre of ground, this Georgian Colonial is rich in architectural details & offers plenty of space for any needs. You enter into an expansive central hallway with a beautifully detailed butterfly staircase (with the powder room tucked under one side). The living room flanks the South side with walls of built-in glass cabinets, a fireplace, arched doors to the family room (and another that is now a glass fronted display cabinet).
The family room along the side of the house has direct access to the driveway. The dining room has the 2nd fireplace and direct access to the sunroom (that has a full bath for the pool). The huge kitchen offers dual sinks, dishwashers and stoves. There is a large island as well as space towards the rear of the kitchen for a large breakfast table. This space retains the original butler’s pantry (that also accesses the sunroom) & the rear staircase. The laundry room is on the 1st floor and provides direct access out to the driveway.
The grounds include a kidney-shaped in-ground pool & a tennis court (this is being sold as-is and needs extensive restoration or removal). It is perfectly sited just 2 blocks from the Elkins Park SEPTA train station and CreekSide Coop.
To see the complete listing click here.